Tips on Fire Extinguishers
Do you know where the closest fire extinguisher is in your home or place of work?! And more importantly, do you know how to use it? Both of these things are very important to know so you know what to do in case of an emergency and to keep you safe. Listed below are some tips on when to use a fire extinguisher during an emergency.
- The outside of the extinguisher is clean, and all parts are operable and not damaged or restricted
- You have identified an escape, and the fire is not between you and the route
- You have alerted other occupants, and someone has called the fire department
- You are safe from the toxic smoke produced by the fire
- The fire is contained to a single object, such as a wastebasket
These tips are good to know so you can safely use a fire extinguisher. It is also good to familiarize yourself with the location of the fire extinguisher in your home and workplace. In addition to these tips, please remember, YOU and YOUR FAMILY are irreplaceable, get out of the building if the fire spreads or you feel like you can’t control it.