Stop Mold Growth
Most homeowners have concerns about mold and how to prevent it. Mold can grow anywhere, indoors or outdoors, and if not treated promptly, can spread very quickly. It is best to prevent mold before it ever becomes a problem.
Tips to Prevent Mold
The key to mold prevention is moisture control. The Mother Nature Network suggests several ways for homeowners to curb moisture indoors, and the mold that thrives on it:
- Identify problem areas in your home and correct them. Areas such as wet basements, water stained ceilings, or windows with condensation are examples of potential problem areas. Correcting these issues can prevent mold before it becomes a problem.
- Dry wet areas immediately. Mold needs moisture to grow. Don’t leave wet areas in your home. Remove wet carpets and furniture if they can’t be dried completely. Don’t leave wet items lying around the house. Always dry the walls and floors after showers or spills.
- Prevent moisture with proper ventilation. Make sure your home isn’t holding moisture inside by opening a winder or running an exhaust fan while cooking or showering.
- Equip your home with mold-resistant products. If building a new home or renovating your current home, always use mold-resistant products like mold-resistant drywall or Sheetrock, and mold inhibitors for paint.
- Monitor humidity indoors. Measure humidity in your home with a moisture meter and keep the indoor humidity levels between recommended levels.
- Direct water away from your home. Make sure the ground around your home is sloped so that water runs away from the home.
- Clean or repair roof gutters. Leaky roofs lead to moisture in the home.
- Improve air flow in your home. Increase air circulation in your home by opening doors between rooms and moving furniture away from walls. Let fresh air into your home.
- Keep mold off house plants. The moist soil in indoor plants is a perfect breeding ground for mold. Find ways to prevent mold from growing on your house plants.
If after following these tips you still find that you have a mold infestation in your home, SERVPRO of Natchez has the specialized mold remediation equipment and the highly trained mold remediation technicians necessary to handle any size mold infestation.