Recent Fire Damage Posts
Fire, Soot and Smoke damage to your home or business is a huge and unexpected setback in your life. Fire board-up, cleanup, repair, and restoration are what we do.
At SERVPRO of Natchez our disaster restoration experts will be there to help you clean up and restore your home or business to its preloss condition. Our certified team of professionals are trained and specialized to handle large and small fires and smoke damage cleanup, which includes the following services:
- Structural cleaning
- Smoke and odor removal from both the structure and its contents such as personal belongings, furniture etc.
- Temporary protection and board-up of the home or business
- Cleaning and storage of personal belongings
- Climate-controlled storage
- Fogging and ozoning on site or in our cleaning facility
- Complete demolition
- Total reconstruction of a home or business
SERVPRO of Natchez is always here for you. Call us at 601.304.5554.
Fire Damage-Smoke and Soot
Smoke and the Different Types
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Natchez will determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process. Smoke and soot are very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allow us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot are very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allow us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – SERVPRO of Natchez 601.304.5554.
Safety tips to prevent home fires.
Did you know that cooking is the number one cause of house fires? Also, Thanksgiving is the peak day for cooking fires. Here are a few safety tips that you could follow while your in the kitchen this holiday season or any day:
- ALWAYS be alert. If you are sleepy try not to use the stovetop.
- Make sure you keep anything that can catch fire away from the stove top. (oven mitts, wooden utensils, towels,etc.)
- NEVER leave the kitchen while cooking on the stove top.
- If frying always keep an eye on whatever it may be. (Heat your grease slowly)
SERVPRO Of Natchez can help you with any of your fire damage needs 24 hours a day 7 days a week 601.304.5554. Faster to any Disaster!!
Content Restoration after Fire Loss
From furniture to antiques to artwork and appliances, we'll treat your treasures with the care they deserve. While some items can be cleaned on-site, in many cases we'll need to inventory, pack out and transport the contents of your property to our state-of-the-art facility to ensure the best care possible.
- We arrive on-site and inventory all of your personal belongings.
- We carefully pack all salvable items to transport to our secure warehouse and cleaning facility.
- Unsalvageable contents are inventoried and discarded.
We have trained professionals to help you establish replacement values versus restoration costs. We are also available for pricing of non-salvable inventory items.
- Thorough cleaning
- Proper handling of all electronics
- Photographs and artwork
- Soft goods
- Dry Cleaning
- Odor Removal
Have You Checked Your Fire Alarms?
Smoke alarms play a vital role in saving lives, and when properly installed, can reduce the risk of fire injury in half.
The National Fire Protection Association recommends smoke alarms be installed in every bedroom, outside all sleeping quarters and on every level of the house. Business owners should consult the local Fire Marshall to ensure specific building fire codes and smoke detector requirements are met.
Smoke alarms work best when paired with a fire escape plan. A plan allows your family, employees or clients to escape quickly and safely in an emergency situation.
Review the following tips regarding smoke detectors installation and maintenance. For more on emergency preparedness contact SERVPRO of Natchez 601.304.5554.
- Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, including the basement.
- Smoke alarms should be installed away from the kitchen to prevent false alarms. Generally, they should be at least 10 feet from a cooking appliance.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month using the test button.
- Replace batteries in all smoke alarms at least once a year. If an alarm "chirps," the battery is low and should be replaced right away.
- Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old.
What You Should do if You Have a Fire Emergency
What would you do if you were ever in an emergency?
Step 1 would be to get you and your family to safety.
Step 2 would be to call SERVPRO of Natchez to help right away with your restoration needs.
However, there are certain, and very important dos and don’ts in case of a fire emergency that you should or shouldn’t do until we arrive. Let us help you out by listing these dos and don’ts in case you ever are in these situations.
In case of an emergency fire damage, pay attention to the following tips:
-limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into carpet and avoid tracking
- keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork
- if electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor
- wipe soot from metal kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances
-don’t attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO of Natchez professionals.
- don’t attempt to shampoo carpet, rugs, or upholstered furniture without first consulting SERVPRO of Natchez.
- don’t attempt to clean any electrical appliances (TV sets, radios, etc.) that may have been close to fire, heat, or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.
Tips on Fire Extinguishers
Do you know where the closest fire extinguisher is in your home or place of work?! And more importantly, do you know how to use it? Both of these things are very important to know so you know what to do in case of an emergency and to keep you safe. Listed below are some tips on when to use a fire extinguisher during an emergency.
- The outside of the extinguisher is clean, and all parts are operable and not damaged or restricted
- You have identified an escape, and the fire is not between you and the route
- You have alerted other occupants, and someone has called the fire department
- You are safe from the toxic smoke produced by the fire
- The fire is contained to a single object, such as a wastebasket
These tips are good to know so you can safely use a fire extinguisher. It is also good to familiarize yourself with the location of the fire extinguisher in your home and workplace. In addition to these tips, please remember, YOU and YOUR FAMILY are irreplaceable, get out of the building if the fire spreads or you feel like you can’t control it.
Fire Damage to Your Belongings
The importance of contents coverage whether you are renting or you own your property is so important. Making sure your coverage is enough to cover even the little items is just as important. These things add up when you are having to replace your entire home.
We may protect our homes as best as we can from a fire, but surrounding homes or apartments can also be the cause. A small fire turned into a huge fire very quickly in this property because it could not be contained in time.
Some contents can be saved by a textiles company or by SERVPRO of Natchez with soot cleaning or refinishing. There are some items, however, that go beyond the ability of even experienced restoration companies. To have a professional look at your soot damaged property and find out if it can be saved, call 601.304.5554.
Fire Place and Space Heater Safety
According to the NFPA( National Fire Protection Association) heating equipment used in cold winter months are the leading cause of home fire deaths. Heating equipment estimates about $1 billion in property damages annually.
If you choose to use heating equipment in your Tuscaloosa home, please use some of these safety tips provided by NFPA:
- anything potentially flammable should be a minimum of 3 ft away
- practicing a "no kid zone" in the 3 foot surrounding area of a heater or fireplace
- sturdy screen in front of your fire place to catch wayward sparks
- store ashes once they have cooled completely in a metal container and place the container away from your house
- turn off portable heaters when leaving the room or going to bed
- test your smoke alarms monthly. Replace all batteries at least once a year. Don't need batteries? Replace those smoke alarms every 10 years
- clean and inspect the fireplace every year before winter season when you need it!
In the event of a Fire in your home, call SERVPRO of Natchez to help you with the clean up and restoration of your property!
Pros of Fire Sprinklers
Reasons to invest in fire sprinkler systems
- They add about 1% to the cost of a new home. This is about the same as the cost to upgrade carpeting.
- They increase property value.
- The can lower your homeowners insurance.
- They can put out a house fire in 1 1/2 minutes.
- They cause less damage to belongings.
- Most of them can be concealed when not in use.
- Lowers the risk for injury and even death.
It gives you a sense of peace knowing that your family is more safe and secure. We all want our homes to be a place where we can be comfortable and at ease. Talk with others such as neighbors and friends about installing a system in there homes. Most people don't think about installing a fire sprinkler system as a safety measure but maybe it is time you and them to reconsider this when thinking of a great investment for your home or business.
We hope you never need these expert services but if you do, call us at 601.304.5554 or visit us on the web at www.SERVPROnatchez.com.
Smoke Damage is as Dangerous as Fire Damage
This stand up deep freezer shows the amount of damage that can be done by smoke from a kitchen fire.
In a typical house fire, more damage is caused by smoke than by the actual flames. During a fire, the materials that burn produce toxic smoke that is actually filled with microscopic particles known as soot. These tiny particles become charged from the extreme heat and migrate to cooler air found in other parts of the house. Because this smoke is often extremely hot, it can cause additional damage away from the actual source of the fire by melting plastics, scorching fabrics and textiles and spreading toxic gasses that will literally kill any living thing in its path. That’s why smoke alarms throughout your home are critical to saving lives.
The Department of Homeland Security says “In less than 30 seconds a small flame can get completely out of control and turn into a major fire. It only takes minutes for thick black smoke to fill a house or for it to be engulfed in flames. Most deadly fires occur in the home when people are asleep. If you wake up to a fire, you won't have time to grab valuables because fire spreads too quickly and the smoke is too thick. There is only time to escape.”
At SERVPRO® of Natchez, our trained specialists know how to restore your belongings after a house fire. We hope you never need our services but if you do, we will help you determine what can be restored and what needs to be replaced. Restoring smoke and fire damaged items costs less than replacing them. Having your belongings restored, especially items of sentimental value, helps most families recover from the trauma of a fire more quickly than otherwise possible.
Again, we hope you never need these expert services but if you do, call us at 601.304.5554 or visit us on the web at www.SERVPROnatchez.com. We have helped hundreds of families recover from house fire damages.
House Fire Season! Not When it is your Home!
This is a kitchen grease fire.
We often hear about a particular time of the year as being the “season for house fires,” meaning house fire disasters are on the rise from that month forward. It is usually associated with colder weather when we start to use more home heating. When it comes to your home, however, there is no “season” for a fire. It can strike at any time. The sad fact is that 2,500 people will be killed in fires over the next year. 13,000 people will suffer serious injuries related to fires and the loss of property – in terms of real dollars – will be more than $7 Billion!
SERVPRO® of Natchez provides expert restoration services if you have experienced a house fire. If that is your situation now, please call 601.304.5554 so we can begin restoring your home. The residue left from a fire, known as soot, presents hidden dangers if not properly removed from your home and your possessions. Soot is acidic in nature and within hours to days, it will begin to decay or even destroy whatever surface it comes in contact with.
Our homes are a collection of different types of materials, all of which represent unique risks once they have been exposed to the heat from a fire. The structure itself is composed of wood and sheetrock. Electrical wiring is wrapped with plastics and rubber. Insulation is found in attics and behind walls. Floors are made of wooden materials that have been coated with chemicals to preserve their beauty, or covered with synthetic materials found in carpets. Each presents its own set of risks. The water used to extinguish the fire also presents a different set of problems for furniture that comes in contact with it and personal belongings left on floors.
SERVPRO® of Natchez technicians are trained to determine what can be salvaged and what needs to be discarded. Each home contains items of sentimental value like pictures and heirlooms. Until help arrives, pictures need to be removed from glass frames as quickly as possible so they can dry unless they have become stuck to the glass. Valuable items like jewelry, weapons, ammunition, financial papers and other personal items should be removed from the home for safe keeping.
Our restoration specialists treat the damaged contents of your home with the utmost respect and care. Once clean and restored, we will safely store your property until your home is ready for your return. Our job is to make your loss “Like it never even happened.”
We have helped hundreds of families recover from house fire damages. Visit our website for information on how we can restore your property at www.SERVPROnatchez.com.
Why You Must Hire Professionals to Restore your Natchez Home after Fire Damage
Hidden damage and strong odors left behind by a house fire
Even after a small grease fire in your kitchen, you are going to wind up with plenty of damage afterward. You also must deal with a heavy smoky odor throughout your home, black soot on your ceiling and cabinets, burnt grease, and even melted appliances.
Many people attempt to clean up after a small fire in their Miss-Lou home themselves. However, it is best to leave the inspection and cleanup of the fire damage to the expertise of our technicians at SERVPRO. We are trained and certified to deal with situations like this and have the proper tools as well to restore your home back to its proper state thoroughly.
Kitchen fires produce a mixture of residues which must be cleaned properly. A big challenge of kitchen fires is you will most likely have more than one kind of material which burns and leaves residues. It is not an easy task for the average homeowner to understand how to clean these residues. The different kinds include natural substances such as wood, paper, or natural fabrics, protein substances like grease and burnt food, plus synthetic substances like plastics. It is best that each kind of substance is cleaned with the right method unique to that substance.
Smoke smells are tough to combat. You can keep cleaning, but the smell of smoke can linger still. Smoke particles are tiny, and each of them has an odor. These microscopic particles make their way inside your walls through air ducts, behind the wood trim, into cabinets, under carpeting, and more. Even if you are the best cleaner in the world, there are such a vast number of places you could miss, and it can take weeks for the smell to dissipate.
The fire could have also done more damage than you realize. If flames shot up an air duct, for instance, you may not know about some of the damage done. When you allow SERVPRO staff to inspect your home, we can find all the hidden damage so that your home is completely cleaned and restored, giving you a peace of mind.
SERVPRO of Natchez is a locally owned and operated company with the proper training to handle fire damage of all kinds. People who reside in the Miss-Lou area, you can reach us easily at any time by dialing 601.304.5554.