Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Once your Miss-Lou area home has been affected by a fire in addition to fire, smoke and soot damage your home may have also suffered from water damage due to the firefighting efforts. This type of damage to your home can be very devastating and hard to process by all! After a fire damage you may feel stressed, confused and vulnerable, so you will need a lending hand to help guide you through this hard time. Our staff at SERVPRO of Natchez will treat you with respect and empathy, and we'll always treat your home and belongings with care! We are a trusted leader in fire restoration and have the equipment to have your home back to pre-fire condition in no time.
Have Questions? Call Us Today – 601.304.5554.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (601) 304-5554
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.